Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Fountain of Youth

For many years we have searched for it. Men have lost their lives over it. Women have paid high prices to find it. We have traveled the world to the farthest reaches to seek it out. Since ancient times it has been sought after. But, I know where the fountain of youth is! And I'm going to share it with you! You ready? The fountain of youth is in your mind. It has always been there. It's the voice that tells you to conquer. It's the "fight" response that we sometimes ignore and instead choose to listen to the "flight" response because it's easier. It's the burning desire to have more, be better, keep pushing forward. Because when your mind is right, there is nothing that you can't do!!!

We are the fattest country in the world. There are more obese people living in the USA than any other place on the planet. I am from Louisiana and we are SECOND in the Nation in obesity. Why? Because many of us don't have our minds right. There are some cases where people have medical conditions that contribute to them being overweight and in those cases I say seek medical advice. But for the majority our health issues are BECAUSE we are overweight and under-active. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I would love to get in shape but I have high blood pressure, high choloesteral and I take meds for that. And I have bad knees and a bad back and I can't do any exercises". All of those problems are usually because the person talking is extremely overweight. So, since I am all about making the world a better place, let me share with you what I have learned in my 20+ years in the fitness industry. Before you read further, please note I don't proclaim to be an expert and before you start any physicial program you should consult your physician. But you can't/won't do any of that until you get your mind right. Nobody made you fat, McDonald's and Burger King didn't do it, YOU did it. That is the first thing you need to do--own your weight and health issues. Because until you accept that YOU did this to YOU, then YOU will never accept that YOU CAN un-do this to you. So, if your'e mind isn't right, read no further. Save this blog for a time when you are ready to accept, learn, apply, and move forward, and go lay back down on the couch with the remote. But if you think you are ready, please read on.

Things that I have learned in the fitness industry:
1. You MUST set goals. And they MUST be specific, written and posted where you will see them regularly. Setting a goal of losing weight does not get it. Because you could lose one pound and say "There, I met my goal. I'm done." Generally a person can lose an average of two pounds per week--that's 8 - 10 pounds per month. Of course you can lose more but I'm going to tell you how to do it the healthy way without pills and extreme diets.
2. The secret to losing weight is to create a caloric deficit. You must burn up more calories than you consume. Bottom line and yes, it's really that simple. But you have to know how much goes in and how much you are burning up. Keep a food journal. Write down everything you eat during the day and the amount of calories you are consuming. There are several websites you can go to that will tell you how many calories foods contain--google 'em. Then you should invest in a monitor that you wear when you exercise that will show you how many calories you have burned during exercise. I recommend the bodybugg. You log in your food to the website and it calculates your calories. It also monitors how many calories you have burned during the day as well as how many steps you have taken. The goal there being to take more steps every day....the more you move the more you burn. The bugg is rather pricey but there are plenty of other monitors you can order online or purchase at Academy etc.
3. Eat every 2 - 3 hours!! WHAT!!!!???? Yup.In order to keep your metabolism up your body needs to be fed every 2 - 3 hours. BUT, it must be fed correctly. You are about to become an athlete with a lean, strong body, so you must start eating like an athlete. In order to lose weight you should consume more protiens than carbs. DO NOT deprive your body of carbs, it needs it. But DO limit your intake and the time of you day you eat them. Carbs are best consumed during the day and not at the evening meal. It gives your body a chance to turn it to the sugar it needs to function as well as time to burn it off before you go to bed.
4. NEVER skip breakfast. They have been telling us this since the beginning of time but it is so true. The reason it's called breakfast is because you are breaking the fast of not eating for 8 hours. Guess what happens when you wake up and hit the ground running and the first bite of food that goes in your mouth is noon? Your body has already gone into starvation mode and your metabolism has slowed in order not to consume the stores it has. A slow metabolism means fewer calories being consumed and that is totally going against what you are trying to achieve. So don't sabotage your efforts by skipping breakfast.
5. Ladies, don't be afraid to do resistance training using heavy weights. You WILL NOT bulk up, you don't have enough testosterone in your body to create muscles like a man. Gentlemen, you DO have the testosterone to bulk up so, add the weights. Personally, I recommend weight training 3 days a week skipping a day in between, male or female. The reason that it is recommended you skip a day in between is because when you are lifting and pushing those muscles to failure you are tearing those muscles. Jillian Michaels doesn't call her program "Shred it" for nothing. In order to build that muscle back up, you have to let it heal a day before you tear it up again. If you don't, you will not see results, other than just being sore all the time and leaving yourself prone to injury. We have also learned that resistance training creates a cardio effect with an after-burn that lasts as long or longer than straight cardio.
6. Cardio, Cardio, Cardio. This is a MUST for burning calories. Pick the activity you want to do; running, Zumba, Aerobics, Belly Dance, Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire, Plyometrics, Basketball, Tennis, skating,cycling, it doesn't matter. Pick something that burns calories and I'm talking until you are dripping wet with sweat. Make it something you enjoy doing and do it at least 3 times a week. It is important to note that this activity needs to be what I call a soul mate workout. Try them until you find your soul mate. I'm not saying find something easy, make it challenging but something that fits YOU. I love music so, I run with my ipod stuck in my ears or I do Turbo Jam or Turbo Fire. It doesn't matter, my point is if you don't love it, your not going to do it.
7. Schedule your workout time. Put it on the calendar as if it were an appointment that you can't miss and DONT!! This is YOUR time so schedule it when you will have the least amount of interruptions. I am NOT a morning person but 4:30 AM is when I have the least amount of interruptions. Get my point? It may not be a convenient time or an easy time but this is work people and sacrifices must be made, so figure it out and do it.
8. Gym or home workout? Doesn't matter. Again, whatever fits your lifestyle. If it's easier to get to the gym to get away from the interruptions, join a gym. Paying the membership and possibly hiring a personal trainer may be enough incentive to make you get dressed and go!!! If you can't stand the gym atmosphere, or it's just a logistical nightmare, invest in some weights, resistance bands and a 90 day program that you can do at home.
9. There is no such thing as a diet!!! Stop it with the "d" word!! If you want to change the way you look and feel you have to change your lifestyle. This is a lifestyle change. That means that for the rest of your life, you must perform in this manner. When you achieve a goal, stop, take a deep breath, celebrate, and set a higher goal---forever. Lather, rinse, repeat!!! A diet is temporary, a lifestyle change is permanent.

This blog is long enough so I'm going to wind it up. I know some of this sounds pretty "in your face" and I mean it to be. I see so much potential in others and it makes me so mad/sad when I hear them make excuses. I want so much for YOU and I will be in your corner because you will need support and like-minded friends. This change is not easy and most of us don't like change. But this change IS the fountain of youth. You will have more energy, more enthusiasm for life, better health, and you will be able to participate in more activities with your kids. You will be more loving and understanding of the people around you. You will find your circle of friends to be more positive because positive people attract positive people.

I will follow up with another one discussing plateaus, clothing, shoes, support groups, and anything else you want me to talk about. Please leave me comments, opinions, and any questions or suggestions you have for the follow up blog.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Great information! Would you please consider sharing my link to your readers? Please email me back at haileyxhailey gmail.com.

    Thanks!
    Hailey

    ReplyDelete